Monday, April 16, 2007

The Ugliest Man

I wrote this sometime ago--reflecting on a different episode in my life. However, now, given the theme of "Sri Lanka" and "belonging" that i seem to be rambling on about, this short poem seems most pertinent. Enjoy...


The ugliest man
his soul, full of despair
yearns for belonging
where ever he turns
he sees
bloody eyes, cruel nails
loneliness

but wait…
as she went pass him
silent
that she blushed
he saw it well
by that he knew her for butterfly
for salvation


Suddenly
he grows warmer
the coldness of his body
gone!

What has happened to me?
something warm refreshes me
I am not ugly anymore!
unknown she is
she circles me
her warm breath touches my body

But as he peers away from himself
seeking in her the comfort of his loneliness
behold! she asks
what do you seek here?
what do you seek here you ugly man?

Same as you
to learn of loneliness
to afflict myself of this wretchedness
to feel your heart, eyes, soul
to feel beautiful again
to belong

—Mustafa, ‘The Ugliest Man’

No comments: